ROMBuild is a ROM manipulation tool that is capable of creating ROMs for the older arcade emus using MAME ones. An example of this is by splitting ROMs in two or joining two together but ROMBuild supports much more than this. It can can split, join, extract, fill, patch, pad, interleave etc but to you the user that doesn't really matter. The important thing is that MAME ROMs go in and ROMs for another emulator come out. :)
When used in conjunction with the CMPro/ROMCenter dats that I have produced you can generate ROM sets for practically any emulator from MAME ROMs. In fact, the only ROMs you can't generate from MAME sets are where MAME doesn't support the game.
There is also the special version that I created for the Neo-Geo changes around the time of MAME v0.80. The changes affected many emulators but this special release of my tool can build the new type of ROMs from the old ones. In total 23 games were affected, iirc:
19 December 2009 - ROMBuild v2.14
Changes related to MAME v0.133:
2 May 2009 - ROMBuild v2.13
Changes related to MAME v0.130 and MAME v0.131:
8 January 2009 - ROMBuild v2.12
Changes related to MAME v0.129:
23 October 2008 - ROMBuild v2.11
Changes related to MAME v0.128:
4 April 2008 - ROMBuild v2.10
Updated details for World Heroes (NeoRAGEx) to match MAME v0.120.
9 September 2007 - ROMBuild v2.9
Updated ROM names for R-Type (Japan prototype) to match MAME v0.112
17 October 2006 - ROMBuild v2.8
- Removed RAINE ROMs since they are now MAME compatible (v0.43.4+)
5 October 2005 - ROMBuild v2.7
- Removed M1 ROMs since they are now MAME compatible (from v0.7.6).
28 March 2005 - ROMBuild v2.6
- Updated altbeast ROMs (Calice and System16) to match MAME v0.95.
28 February 2005 - ROMBuild v2.5
- Internal game renames for Altered Beast (to match MAME v0.92).
30 January 2005 - ROMBuild v2.4
- Removed FBA v0.2.94.98 from the source (superceded by v0.2.95.22).
6 January 2005 - ROMBuild v2.3
- Removed ZiNc v0.9 from the source (superceded by v1.0.2).
26 October 2004 - ROMBuild v2.2
- Added Dynasty Wars support for various emus following MAME v0.87.
10 September 2004 - ROMBuild v2.1
- Removed the Snow Bros conversions for RAINE (now uses MAME ROMs).
2 July 2004 - ROMBuild v2.0
- Tidied up the code a bit. Now uses DatLib for common functions.
9 March 2004 - ROMBuild v1.18
- Lots of changes around the Neo-Geo redumps of MAME v0.80:
5 February 2004 - ROMBuild v1.17
- Added support for Robo Army and Sengoku 2 to various emulators
19 December 2003 - ROMBuild v1.16
- Added a quick fix so that it does not process large unzipped files.
22 October 2003 - ROMBuild v1.15
- Removed support for some Androdun ROMs in NeoRAGEx.
6 May 2003 - ROMBuild v1.14
- Added gaiapols/gaiaplis for Hoot and M1.
18 January 2003 - ROMBuild v1.13
- Added ThunderForce AC (Bootleg) for Sega System C2 Emulator v0.2b.
24 March 2002 - ROMBuild v1.12
- Changed internals for Space Invaders Galactica to match MAME v0.59.
23 March 2002 - ROMBuild v1.11
- Changed source to compile without modification on FreeBSD.
11 November 2001 - ROMBuild v1.10
- Changed internal details of wboy, wbml and tnzs for MAME v0.56.
28 August 2001 - ROMBuild v1.9
- Changed internal details for Pacman clones to match MAME v0.53
22 July 2001 - ROMBuild v1.8
- Added Super Galaxians for Mimic v1.08.
8 June 2001 - ROMBuild v1.7
- Added Speed Freak for Cinelator 95 Beta.
17 March 2001 - ROMBuild v1.6
- Fixed problem affecting NeoRAGEx/Callus builds from unzipped ROMs.
11 March 2001 - ROMBuild v1.5
- Added SonSon support for RAGE, Replay, Rockulator++ and SonSon Emulator.
1 March 2001 - ROMBuild v1.4
- Added full support for NeoRAGEx v0.6 and QSound Player v2.
1 February 2001 - ROMBuild v1.3
- Added Road Runner support for Sideway and removed RAINE (no longer required).
18 January 2001 - ROMBuild v1.2
- Updated to handle Galaxian ROM changes of MAME v0.37 b11.
18 December 2000 - ROMBuild v1.1
- New in v1.1: Jump Bug Emulator v0.50 and Kung Fu Master v0.0000001a.
8 December 2000 - ROMBuild v1.0
- First public release.